This crustless pumpkin pie is an easy delicious dessert that serves a large crowd. It is perfectly gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free!
I am a huge fan of pumpkin pie. But it was not until recently that I realized I have been going for the filling rather than the crust.
I am not saying that pies with crust aren't good (I love the crust). However, for this particular one, it is so satisfying that you won't miss the crust at all!
Ditching the crust means you no longer have to spend extra 30-40 minutes dealing with finicky pie crust. It makes everything quicker and easier.
Despite how easy it is to make, the flavor you need is all in there. It is loaded with cinnamon aroma and has just the right amount of sweetness. It is creamy, smooth and rich without using any cream.
The ingredients are incredibly simple as well. There is no evaporated milk or condensed milk which is often called for pumpkin pie recipes. Since it's sweetened with maple syrup, this recipe is refined sugar free. Using oat milk makes it become a dairy free dessert and if that’s not enough, it is also gluten free!
All it takes is to mix everything in one bowl, pour into a pie dish and bake. It may look soft and jiggly when it first comes out of the oven but don’t be worried. It will firm up nicely once it’s completely cooled.
Ingredients for this recipe
- Tapioca starch - corn, arrowroot, or potato starch can be used to substitute
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Large eggs
- Pumpkin puree - do not use pumpkin pie mix which already has sugar and spices
- Oat milk - to substitute, I recommend a thicker kind such as soy milk
How to make crustless pumpkin pie
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 177°C. In a large bowl, mix the cinnamon, starch, and salt together.
2. Add in the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
3. Add in the eggs and whisk well.
4. Mix in the pumpkin puree and milk.
5. Pour into a pie dish and bake for 50-60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. The center may be jiggly but will firm up once cooled.
6. Refrigerate to cool. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Topping ideas for crustless pumpkin pie
I often dig in with a large spoon and finish the entire dish. That tells how good this pie is on its own, but a few things can be served together to bring it to the next level.
Whipped cream - I like to whip up ½ cup of plant based heavy cream with 1 tablespoon of sugar and serve on top.
Dairy-free ice cream - simply go with vanilla flavor or anything you like!
Nuts - Crushed cashew, pecan, walnuts, or almond flakes. They add a nice crunchiness.
Cinnamon - dust it on top to give some more cinnamon flavor.
Crushed gluten-free graham crackers - if you are the one that cannot let go of the crust idea completely.
How to store crustless pumpkin pie
The crustless pumpkin pie can be wrapped tightly and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You May Also Like...
Crustless Pumpkin Pie (Gluten-free, Dairy-free)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch See note for substitutes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can pumpkin puree can size: 15oz/ 425g
- 1 cup oat milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 177°C. In a large bowl, mix the cinnamon, tapioca starch, and salt together. Lightly grease a pie dish.
- Add in the maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk well.
- Add in the eggs and whisk well.
- Mix in the pumpkin puree and milk.
- Pour the mix into the pie dish and bake for 50-60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. The center may be jiggly but will firm up once cooled.
- Refrigerate to cool completely. Serve with topping(s) of your choice such as whipped cream, ice cream or crushed nuts.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.