Asian chicken meatball soup is loaded with vegetables and soft fluffy meatballs, simmered in umami rich broth. It is topped with toasted white sesame and chopped scallions. Enjoy this easy and comforting recipe!
When the weather starts to cool down, we all need a hearty delicious soup like this. Although the chicken meatballs are made with lean ground chicken, they are so soft and tender, thanks to the egg yolk and a bit of starch mixed in. Also the sesame oil adds a perfect amount of juiciness along with the exotic flavor.
The soup is rich in umami from the chicken broth and shiitake mushrooms. If you cannot find shiitake, you may substitute with others such as portobello mushrooms.
The chicken meatballs are very easy to prepare in one bowl. Simply combine and knead all ingredients together and it’s ready to go! Then all you need to do is to form the mix into balls and drop them into the soup. Alternatively, you can also scoop bite size portions with a spoon and slide into the soup as well.
To make the meatball shaping easier, try wetting your hands with water to prevent the meat sticking everywhere. (It magically works!)
Ingredients for This Recipe
- Sesame oil
- Corn or potato starch
- Egg yolk
- Ground chicken
- Chicken broth
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Chopped scallions
- Toasted white sesame
How to Make Asian Chicken Meatball Soup
1. In a medium bowl, combine the salt, sesame oil, cornstarch, egg yolk and ground chicken together and knead with hands until well combined. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, place the chicken broth, tamari, carrot, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil.
3. Roll the chicken mix into small balls (slightly larger than 1 inch) and drop them into the soup.
4. Let simmer for 10 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked.
How to Store the Chicken Meatball Soup
The soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Reheat on the stove top or microwave.
You May Also Like...
Asian Chicken Meatball Soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons corn starch or potato starch
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 6 cups chicken broth either from carton or powder mixed into water
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce or more
- 1 medium carrot peeled and sliced
- 6 shiitake mushrooms sliced
- chopped scallions
- toasted white sesame
- ground pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the salt, sesame oil, cornstarch, egg yolk and ground chicken together and knead with hands until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, place the chicken broth, tamari, carrot, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil.
- Roll the chicken mix into small balls (slightly larger than 1 inch size) and drop them into the soup.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.